Wondering what paper work you need to bring to your tax appointment?

Save time and money by going prepared with all the documents you need. Let Joy’s Tax Services help you.

Here is a list for you to reference:

Proof of Identity
• Proof of identification (Drivers License, Government issued Photo I.D.).
• Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration. If you or your dependent is not eligible to get a Social Security Number, you will need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

Prior Year Tax Return Copies
• If you are a new client, please bring copies of your last 3 years federal and state income tax returns. Joy’s Services will review them for FREE, and we may be able to amend mistakes/omissions getting you back additional refunds.

Personal & Dependent Information
• Social Security or ITIN Numbers with date of births for anyone who’ll be on your tax return
• Childcare payment records with licensed provider’s ID number(s)
• Amount of any alimony payments with ex-spouse SSN

Income Statements
• Bring any & all W-2, 1098, 1099 & schedule K-1 forms
• Pension and social security statements (Form 1099-R, SSA-1099)
• Gambling winnings and losses

Itemized Deductions
If you are planning on itemizing your deductions (Schedule A) please compose a spreadsheet/list summarizing them. Itemized deductions include:
• Mortgage interest, real estate & personal property tax records
• Casualty & theft losses
• Amounts of state & local income tax paid in prior years
• Records of cash donations to religious institutions, schools & other charities
• Records on non-cash charitable donations
• Unreimbursed job related expenses (travel, tools, cell phone charges, uniform cost/cleaning, luggage, services fees, trade journals, meals & entertainment)
• Job search/moving expenses
• List of investment related expenses

Retirement & Education
• Records of any contributions to IRAs, HSAs & other retirement plans
• Records of tuition and other higher education expenses (books, computers, etc)

Health Care
Form 1095-A, if you received health insurance from an Exchange (State or Federal)
• Marketplace exemption certificate if you applied for and received an exemption from the Exchange

Stocks & Mutual Funds
If you sold stocks or mutual funds, please provide a spreadsheet/list showing:
• The date(s) you purchased each item(s) sold
• Total purchase price of each item sold. Do not assume your cost information is provided on Form 1099.

Please prepare a simple 1 page income statement which summarizes your:
• Gross self-employment income for the tax year and your applicable expenses categorized and summarized by the type of expense (i.e. advertising, equipment, supplies, etc.)
• Vehicle information: total miles driven; business miles; tolls and parking; loan interest

Rental Property
If you received income from rental property (Schedule E), please prepare a simple 1 page income statement showing:
• Gross rental income you received during the tax year
• Your applicable expenses categorized and summarized by the type of expense (i.e. advertising, mortgage interest, real estate taxes, repairs, maintenance, condo fees, etc.).
• Rental start date and original cost base for all properties

Business Use of Home
If you used a portion of your home for business use, please provide:
• Square footage calculation of the area used for business
• The date you began using the space for business
• Original purchase price paid for the property
• Summary of your utility expenses (gas, electric, oil, condo fees, landscaping, snowplowing, maintenance, etc.)
• Major home improvements and direct office expenses (repairs, business phone, etc).

Estimated Tax Payments
If you made any estimated tax payments this tax year, we will need to know the dates and amounts paid of all federal and state estimated tax payments.

Finally, please bring any other official tax documents you received not mentioned above. When in doubt, bring it!